Sex harassment allegations force Conyers resignation
Conyers said his legacy “can’t be compromised or diminished in any way by what we’re going through now”
U.S. Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) speaks on September 18, 2015 in Washington, DC. Photo: Getty Images News embed/Alex Wong
Conyers denies accusations of unwanted advances and mistreatment; endorses son as replacement
WASHINGTON, D.C. (MNS) — In a move that came as no surprise on Capitol Hill, Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., resigned as Congress’s longest-serving member Tuesday, facing multiple allegations of sexual harassment.
The Washington Post reported that Conyers, who represented the 13th district of Detroit area for 52 years, yielded to mounting pressure from Democratic leaders to step aside as a growing number of female former aides accused him of unwanted advances and mistreatment. He has denied wrongdoing.
Conyers, 88, was in a Detroit hospital when he made the announcement, and said he was endorsing his son John Conyers III to replace him. A lawyer for the Conyers family described his hospitalization as stress-related.
Asked about the harassment allegations, Conyers said his legacy “can’t be compromised or diminished in any way by what we’re going through now.”
“This, too, shall pass,” Conyers told a local radio station in an interview. “My legacy will continue through my children.”
Conyers was a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus. The group declined last week to call for his resignation, pitting its members against House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who said that he must leave Congress, according to the Washington Post.