Home / Law and order  / Sacramento City Council Approves ‘Advance Peace’ Program

Sacramento City Council Approves ‘Advance Peace’ Program

The money will go to 50 men who are suspected of killing people, but there’s not enough evidence to prosecute them.

Sacramento Council votes to pay gang members to stop killing people

Compton Herald | Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg

“Let’s get going on doing everything we can to save innocent lives.” — Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg. Official photo

SACRAMENTO – The City of Sacramento is setting aside $1.5 million dollars of taxpayers money to pay gang members to stop killing people.

The city council unanimously approved the “Advance Peace” program in an attempt to address their ongoing problem with violent crime, according to Fox News.

The program pays gang members to graduate school and stop shooting at people. If a gang member wants to start killing people, they’ll be forfeiting their taxpayer-funded payday.

The vote had been scheduled to take place in two weeks, but Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg requested that the vote be moved up after five people were shot in a park Sept. 3.

“Five people were shot in Meadowview on Sunday,” Mayor Steinberg said, according to Fox 40. “Let’s get going on doing everything we can to save innocent lives.”

The funding for the payments to the criminal gang members will come from the city’s general fund. The money will go to 50 men who are suspected of killing people, but there’s not enough evidence to prosecute them.

“Fifty is a huge number. That’s 50 shooters who have the possibility of taking a life,” Nicole Clavo said according to KCRA. “If we can reach those 50, how many lives have we changed?”

The Advance Peace program started in Richmond, Calif. and has been credited by some with reducing murders in the city; Sacramento County District Atty. Anne Marie Schubert disagrees.

“I support the gang prevention task force and the many evidence-based youth mentoring and intervention programs already in existence in the city of Sacramento,” she said. “I have serious concerns with a program that is apparently based upon the payment of money to high-risk individuals in exchange for a promise not to engage in violent criminal conduct. There is insufficient evidence-based data to show this approach is effective in preventing gun violence.”

<p>Compton Herald is a digital news publication providing clear, fair and current news, information and commentary about Compton and the Los Angeles metropolitan area of California, and the world.</p>

NO COMMENTS

POST A COMMENT