Home / Law and order  / Gang mayhem, lover’s spat ignite Compton, Inglewood, LB murder spree

Gang mayhem, lover’s spat ignite Compton, Inglewood, LB murder spree

Gang members and a lover’s quarrel in three separate incidents of violence

Compton Herald | Police Line - Police Tape
Police Tape Photo: Flickr/Tony Webster

COMPTON (MNS) — Gang members and a lover’s quarrel in three separate incidents of violence, have left a swath of murder in the Southland, the Compton Herald has learned.

Two men were indicted March 27 in the murder of a 3-year-old Compton boy who was killed during a shootout in a liquor store parking lot earlier this year.

Dwayne Ward, 30, and Kevaughn Harris, 28, were each charged in the case with one count of murder, shooting at an occupied motor vehicle, and possession of a firearm by a felon. They were arraigned March 27 in Department 12 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Compton Branch.

On Jan. 20, Harris was walking toward a car that was parked outside a liquor store in the 2800 block of West Alondra Boulevard. Inside the vehicle were his girlfriend and her 3-year-old son Franklin.

Ward was sitting in a nearby vehicle and allegedly got into a verbal dispute with Harris. Both men, who were rival gang members, allegedly pulled out handguns and began firing at one another.

Franklin, who was sitting in the backseat of the vehicle, was fatally shot in the exchange of gunfire. His mother was not injured.

Ward and Harris face a possible maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

In Inglewood, on March 27, three gang members have been charged with breaking into an Inglewood home and shooting three people, one fatally, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced in Department 5 of the L.A. County Superior Court, Inglewood Branch.

Brandon Perez aka Bad Ass, 24, and Raul Carlos, 40, both of Inglewood; and Alejandro Garduno aka Lil Ghost, 26, of Los Angeles each face one count of murder with special circumstance allegations of murder during the commission of a burglary and murder to further the activities of a criminal street gang.

Arraignment for the three defendants is scheduled for April 19. Perez, Garduno, and Carlos also are charged in the case with two counts of attempted murder and one count each of first-degree burglary, person present, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

On March 20, the three defendants allegedly broke into the home and opened fire on two men and a woman, killing Eric Urias, 25.

The defendants are being held with no bail. If convicted as charged they face the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole. A decision whether to seek the death penalty will be made at a later date.

The case remains under investigation by the Inglewood Police Department.

And, a 34-year-old Long Beach woman was sentenced March 21 to seven years in state prison for stabbing her boyfriend to death nearly two years ago, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

On Feb. 14, Yvonne Marie Pina pleaded no contest to one count of voluntary manslaughter in the case. She also admitted an allegation that she personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a knife, during the slaying.

Deputy District Attorney Kelly Kelley of the Victim Impact Program, who prosecuted the case, said prior to the killing, Pina, and victim Aaron Flores, 21, had been fighting for several days.

On March 1, 2016, the couple fought again at Pina’s home and Flores tried to leave in Pina’s car, the prosecutor said. Unable to leave, Flores asked a neighbor to use the phone, the prosecutor added.

Pina returned to her home to get a knife, then approached Flores, who was still with the neighbor outside, and stated: “You want to hit me?” Pina then stabbed Flores one time, according to the prosecutor.

Flores responded to Pina, “Look at me. What did you do to me?” The defendant immediately tried to help Flores by driving him to the hospital where he later died, the prosecutor said. At the hospital, police arrested Pina in connection with the killing.

The case was investigated by the Long Beach Police Department.

Metropolis News Service

Compton Herald is a digital news publication providing clear, fair and current news, information and commentary about Compton and the Los Angeles metropolitan area of California, and the world.

1 COMMENT
  • Robert Ray March 30, 2018

    And none of these incidents are being included in the “stats” of crimes committed. This is why the L. A. Times is suing the County for not reporting crimes.

Join the conversation!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.