2017 U.S. Open tennis tournament purse hits record $50.4 million
U.S. Tennis Association says a 10 percent increase in total U.S. Open prize money pool increased the purse to a record $50.4 million
Sloane Stephens of the United States with the winners trophy after her victory against Madison Keys of the United States during the Women’s Singles Final at the US Open Tennis Tournament at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 09, 2017 in Flushing, Queens, New York City. Photo by Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images Embed
Women’s, men’s singles champions each win $3.7 million; largest U.S. Open tennis Grand Slam purses ever
Though professional tennis royalty Serena Williams has pocketed considerable earnings in her illustrious career, 2017 U.S. Open women’s champ Sloane Stephens has accomplished a milestone Williams hasn’t — become the highest-earning individual tournament victor in history with a whopping take of $3.7 million.
According to the U.S. Tennis Association (USTA), a 10 percent increase in the total prize money pool of the U.S. Open increased the total purse to a record $50.4 million for the 2017 tournament, becoming the highest paying grand slam outright.
Both men’s and women’s singles champions received a check for $3.7 million followed by $1.8 million for singles runners-up.
In fact, competitors who reached the quarter-finals round of the tournament earned considerable paydays. The following is a full breakdown of the 2017 U.S. Open Tennis Championship purse awarded in different categories.
- Mens/Womens Singles Winners: $3.7 million
- Mens/Womens Singles Runners-up: $1.82 million
- Mens/Womens Singles Semi-finalists: $920,000
- Mens/Womens Singles Quarter-finalists: $470,000
- Mens/Womens Singles 4th Round: $253,625
- Mens/Womens Singles 3rd Round: $144,000
- Mens/Womens Singles 2nd Round: $86,000
- Mens/Womens Singles 1st Round: $50,000
- Mens/Womens Doubles Winners: $675,000
- Mens/Womens Doubles Runners-up: $340,000
- Mens/Womens Doubles Semi-finalists: $160,000
- Mens/Womens Doubles Quarter-finalists: $82,000
- Mens/Womens Doubles 4th Round: $44,000
- Mens/Womens Doubles 3rd Round: $$26,500
- Mens/Womens Doubles 2nd Round: $16,500
U.S. Tennis Association